Sunday, January 17, 2010

Burda Blouse Blitz - #1

Welcome 2010! Is it really mid Jan already? An update on the panda hat. T. loved it and sent me a picture of her wearing it.



Isn’t she cute? My DS the elder (17) met her at summer church camp several years ago. Surprisingly they have kept in touch and try to get together frequently. Ever since he got his driver’s license over a year ago, he has asked repeatedly about driving the 90 miles of highly trafficked roads to her house on his own. After talking to her parents and agreeing on some guidelines for visits, we got him a GPS for Christmas and tempered our parental anxiety long enough to let him make his first trip New Years Eve day. Thankfully, it was uneventful. DS is a good driver, but I worried he would encounter some of the idiot drivers I know are out there, and not have the experience to react safely.

Over my holiday break I spent time looking through nearly 10 years of old Burda magazines. I was looking for all the Burda blouse patterns I liked, but never had time to sew. I desperately needed some new blouses.

I have had the same dress code for work and relatively the same body shape and weight for many years, so I have garments in my wardrobe that are 10 to 15 years old and… I can still wear them. That doesn't mean I should. Specifically blouses. Some of my favorites were purchased in the early 90’s. They are favorites because they are made of beautiful fabrics like silk matelesse or iridescent cross woven’s in colors that still coordinate with many of my jackets. But they are so “out of style”. They have extended shoulders meant to be worn with shoulder pads, a loose fit in the torso, and breast pockets with flaps. I removed the shoulder pads long ago so you can imagine the look; droopy shoulders and lots of loose fabric around the waist when tucked into pants or skirt. As long as they are worn under a jacket, no one suspects. But I really need to wear blouses that are fit to be seen. I have personal global warming episodes when I need to remove my jacket to regulate my temperature. So I have been collecting fabrics in similar colors to the old blouses, in preparation for sewing replacements blouses. Here is the first of three I have completed so far.

BWOF 3-2009-112 collared V neck blouse with gathers along the neckline




I made mine in olive silk shantung to replace a olive silk matalesse blouse. The sewing was very straight forward. Here is the old blouse I am replacing.



Here is my new blouse,


I have a new coordinating jacket planned, but until it is done here are some of the RTW coordinates I will wear it with.







More to come on the other two blouses soon.

21 comments:

  1. Nice looking blouse ! It's on my list but haven't attempted it yet.

    Can't wait to see the next 'replacements'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the updated look. It was a great idea to match the color of an old favorite so that the new blouse coordinates with so much of what you currently wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a difference! it's hard to believe it's the same body... er, mannequin - under those two olive blouses. I think you just discovered the fountain of youth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new blouse. It's very pretty. That hat looks cute on the young lady, also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that blouse really fits right into your wardrobe. It's beautiful, and I love the buttons you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh what an inspiring result: your new blouse looks so stylish with the various jackets.
    It's really nice to see how well it plays with other collars.

    cute cap for DS's friend, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great upgrade! Love that blouse design. The neckline is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute hat, and that blouse is quite an update on the old one! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blouse and goes well with all the jackets. And I know what you mean about your own global warming episodes!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What an update, it looks great with all the outfits! Can't wait to see the others :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. She looks very cute in her hat. I love the updated look of your new blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love your new blouse and am inspired to make one too....not sure when mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your DS's girlfriend is adorable, especially in her panda hat!

    I really like your new blouse, it looks great with all your jackets.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have admired this blouse a few times but yours makes me really want to make one... the colour and fabric is lovely and it coordinates really well with your other clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved the global warming issues line! And thank you for sharing not only the finished blouse but also how you will wear it day-to-day! It is very pretty and will be a hardworking piece in your wardrobe...can't wait to see the next ones!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She looks so cute with the panda hat! I love your updated blouse, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love seeing the hat being modeled! That just makes it all worthwhile.

    Great idea for replacing the blouse! I have only made one blouse thus far, and I loved the pattern - I need to get going and make more; you have inspired me to start digging around in the stash!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you posting the photo of the panda hat on the happy recipient --- I think that hat turned out so cute! I also like the blouse pattern you chose. I had my eye on that one, but wasn't sure if it would be too low-cut for a work blouse. Looks like it will work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the purple and green combination. It is fresh and yet looks like it would go through 3 different seasons of wear. Heck! Even your dress dummy absolutely looks like it matches. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very smart blouse and it co-ordinates beautifully with those jackets.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely blouse and beautifully fashioned with coordinates.

    ReplyDelete